Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

InstructureCon 2016 Round 2: The Wrath of Con



Canvas released another batch of session videos from InstructureCon 2016. I've watched 13 more sessions and there are so many great videos that speak to different roles in Canvas.  The videos I choose speak to my experience as an instructor. You can find all my favorites so far in this playlist. To find descriptions of my favorite volume 1 videos, go to my previous post.



Hit the Bullseye with On-Target Curriculum Design
KC Testerman Commonwealth Charter Academy - K12
Courtney Kofeldt Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School - K12

KC and Courtney walk you through their innovative way of designing lesson packages. The have built a predictable structure for students that allows for maximum personalization for instruction. It is great because the student experience moves away from constant scrolling to a turning the page experience. This is great for all Canvas experiences especially mobile. their design represents an empathetic view for the student experience not simply what is easiest from the teacher perspective.


Each lesson package has distinct components which can be customized if needed:
  1. Standards - This is to let students know where they should be at the end.
  2. Activating strategy - Think of this as the instructional hook
  3. Key terms/connections - Sometimes this includes the use of tools like Quizzlet.
  4. Instruction - This is the bulk of the instruction and can be customized to meet the needs of students
  5. Summarizing - The focus here is to put all the pieces together
  6. Closure - This is the summative activity intended to bring all the pieces together. Again, this is where personalization can occur.



Be sure to take a look at their sample course with all it's fabulous resources including:

  • Templates
  • Overview of the Lesson Package Design
  • Example Lesson Package - you really need to look at it to see how different this is for students








Quizzes.Next: Modern Quizzing in Canvas
Jason Sparks Instructure - HigherEd & K12

Jason introduces the modern quiz engine in Canvas.  It is still in trial/beta.  I look forward to it making it's way to our Canvas instance. This is a ground up redesign of quiz engine. Why a redesign?
  • Modernization - meeting open source standards and making it scalable to high numbers of questions and users
  • Simplicity - Address what is good now and find where to innovate.
  • Elegance - What it to be a pleasant user experience on both ends.

In the video you'll get to see Quizzes 2
From the teacher side It’s Fresh and so Clean. You have to see this. Teachers can easily see the flow of a quiz on the sidebar and drag and drop questions easily. From the student sign, students can jump forward and back to questions simply via a sidebar while seeing the quiz in the main frame. The quiz appearance is so much cleaner than before during the quiz and in feedback.

What's next for Quizzes? Vary points by answer, align individual outcomes to individual  questions (YES!),  shuffle MC answers with lock, open ended item without the ability for grading notes, Hot Spot question students select part of image, Likert Scale questions, Scientific Notation answers, Advanced page views with content on one side and questions on the other (no scrolling up and down between diagrams and questions!), question tags for easy discovery, find questions based on difficulty level of past performance, even better moderation features that give teachers so much more personalized controls, and outcome aligned results in quiz statistics. 

There are also advances coming to the mobile interface for quiz builder for teachers and quiz taker for students. 

The biggest thing that I saw coming is PRINTING in properly formatted text not a browser window view. As a teacher who firmly believes in Universal Design for Learning, students engage with content in different ways. 







PLC’s out of sync? Need a good CFA to increase your SLO’s?
Dave Anderson Mount Logan Middle School - K12


I am a teacher in a district that is firmly rooted in PLC's and SLO's so this session peaked my interest. The process of using Canvas as a way to track Student Learning Outcomes. By creating outcomes and aligning them to assignments.  These work within a Professional Learning Community because the same outcomes can be shared by all teachers in the PLC.  So teachers in the same PLC can track the same SLO data over time.

Dave walks through the process of going from standards to designing outcomes in Canvas, tying those outcomes to assignment rubrics, and how admins can group teacher into sub-accounts to share common outcomes.



Canvas just uploaded over 30 new session in the last day.  The playlist I've made is up to 66 sessions and I've only watched half. So, I'll be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st