Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Celebrating Learning with an Audience


On Wednesday January 18th, my physics class held its first iPhysics Expo. It was a night where students were given the opportunity to present their personal physics project with a public audience. The night was designed to be more conversational 1:1 interactions as opposed to a formal presentation.  Students were assigned a specific space in the cafeteria or Black Box Theater.  The attendees then approached a station and the student manning the station would explain their project.  Students were required to have a presentation aid and a poster at their station.  


The presentation aids varied from student to student. The purpose of the aid was to assist in presentation. The included
  • Sports equipment to demonstrate technique
  • Graphs and data from experiments
  • Physical products students built
  • Computer programs students created
  • A selfie studio
  • Videos presented from chromebooks


The poster could have been created physically or digitally. The purpose of the poster was to inform the audience before or after the presentation.  The poster was not designed to be a formal part of the conversation. Each poster was required to do the following:
  • Introduce the author
  • Present the driving question. What it is and why it is of interest to the author
  • Basic explanation of key physics terms and concepts
  • Resources used
  • Major challenges faced
  • Main takeaways

The night was a lot of fun.  In all of my Project Based Learning Research, I’ve always heard that the culminating event feels like a celebration. Our Physics Expo had a bit of that feeling.  It felt like the most appropriate way to end the course.  





The night was a first step, and there were lots of things to celebrate.  But, there are even more things to learn from and build upon.


The first thing that comes to mind is the setup of the space. We had a few areas for students to present from last night.  They were all relatively close. But without clear signage, the audience was not aware of what was being presented when and where. I think having programs would be great along with a clear set-up of space.  This means, we’ll have to be set on logistics at least a few days before the night of to create signs and programs.  This year we finalized the schedule on the day of.  Also, this year we did not know what the setup would look like until the day of.  I had much more of reactive attitude this first time rather than active frame of mind.  This needs to change next go around if I want to build on our first steps.


When looking at the space, many students chose projects that would allow for interaction in physical spaces (basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball). Without having a gym space to work in, the amount of true sport simulation was cut down for the presentation night.  I’m hoping to reserve gym space ASAP for our June go around. In terms of space, I’d like to do a better job of organizing it to facilitate intentional traffic flow to all presenters.  I could even see organizing the space so that stations by theme.


Timing is another issue to consider, our event was an hour total in two 30 minute halves.  Since we had 66 students presenting, it could easily have been 90 minutes with two 45 minute halves. Also, one of our students was doing a diving presentation in the pool.  For something like this, it would have been nice to schedule it so that everyone would have had time to go to the pool and see it. Since it wasn’t in the main location, it could have been accommodated for and featured as an solo session perhaps during the session switch.  Again, this goes to having logistics in place before the date of the event.


In order to promote an event, there needs to be some lead time.  I hadn’t settled on a final date until about 1 month out.  There are a few reasons for this.  The main one was getting myself to take a chance and put on this event.  Then, I had to make sure it would be approved and determine when the space was free.  Over the next week, I plan on finalizing a date for our June iPhysics Expo.  That will allow for time to start promotion of the event.  Now that the ball is rolling on iPhysics Expo, it has overcome its static friction, so it’ll be easier to move.  


Now that we will have a date for the expo when we introduce the project to students, I think we’ll be able to follow a timeline with appropriate check-ins to keep all students on track so that we will have the logistics down well before the expo night.  This will allow us time to practice our conversations/presentations in class and create signage and flyers for that night. Perhaps even arrange for some refreshments for the night to really make it feel like a celebration.


Creating an event to present products in person to a public audience was always something I shied away from.  Now that I’ve done it and seen how pleasant it was, I’m looking forward to making it a tradition.  I understand how this is where it all leads.  The end of the product is not the grade in the gradebook.  The end is when the product and the learning is shared with others.


I look forward to examining the frameworks for learning that occurs during the project as well as how we share that in this next go around.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st