Skip to main content

Physics is Elementary

  On Friday, I was so pleased to be able to return to one of my favorite days of the year, High-Interest Day at Brookfield Elementary School. This is a day where I have been able to bring the concepts of physics to k-5 graders. You may be asking yourself, "Elementary students doing physics?" YES! Not just experimenting, but understanding the concepts behind the physics of electricity and sound.  This is a very special day I have had the opportunity to be involved in since 2017. So, how are we able to bring the concepts of electricity and sound traditionally taught to high school 11th and 12th graders to the elementary level? There are a few keys 1) make it a hands-on experience 2) remove the mathematical calculations and make it practical. In the past, I had the luck of bringing a handful of my physics students with me to guide the elementary students through the concepts that they had learned over the course of the year. But in my new role as a Teaching and Learning Speciali

Rethinking the Gradebook




One of the main tasks before teachers as we begin the school year, is setting up our digital gradebooks. This year, I’m making a major change in the way I setup my gradebook based on the fact that I am moving from an outcomes that are contained within a unit of instruction to outcomes that carry over from unit to unit.


Now, I am a science teacher.  So, I hope you don’t quickly tune out if you are not. I think as we move towards skills based outcomes, we need to work together to find systems of assessment and communication that work for all.  I would love to hear what others are doing.  I don’t have the answers. This is just my iteration of an idea. Hopefully we can innovate together.


We work with Infinite Campus online gradebook. Our gradebook has weighted categories. A couple of years ago, I set these categories as tests, labs, and practice work.  Then, I moved to create a category for each unit outcome I created.  This became a little overwhelming as I’d have ~15 categories per term. This year, I will have 9 categories per term.  One category for each of my science practice/content skill and one for success skills/habits of mind not embedded in a science practice. So when creating categories, it looks like this:


Categories in IC.jpg


Now, 1 assessment may have multiple practices. For example, the first one we’ll be doing this year “Buggy Lab”. Here’s the rubric broken down by practice below:


Science Practice
3
2
1
Developing & Using Models
Develop and use a model based on evidence to illustrate
phenomenon or relationships between variables.
Evaluate merits and limitations of two different models of the same proposed process in order to
select a model that best fits the evidence.
Use a model to illustrate
phenomenon or relationships between variables.
Planning and carrying out investigations


Conduct an investigation
individually and collaboratively to
produce data to serve as the basis for evidence.
Analyzing and interpreting data

Analyze data and compare and contrast various types of
data sets to examine consistency of
measurements and observations
Analyze data using tools in order
to make valid and reliable scientific
claims or determine an optimal design
solution
Using mathematics and computational thinking
Use mathematics  to describe,
support claims, and explanations.
Apply rates and unit
conversions in the context of
measurement problems.
Apply techniques of algebra and functions
to represent and solve scientific and
engineering problems
Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
Apply scientific reasoning or models to link evidence to the
claims to evaluate how well data supports the
explanation or conclusion.
Make a quantitative and qualitative claim regarding the relationship between dependent and independent
variables.
Make a qualitative
claim regarding the relationship between dependent and independent
variables.


Here are a couple of notes about the rubric. Each practice is graded on a 4 point scale.  So, why don’t we see any level 4 and why are there blank spaces?  Since this our first lab, we won’t be able to assess what a level 4 would be yet.  We’ll build on that in future labs. As a unit progresses we will growth the practice to study the unit specific content.


Since I am putting grades into a gradebook, we do need a grading scale.  We have a couple of options for setting up our grading scale in our district.  We have a standard curve with the cutoff for a “D” set at 70%, a 0-4 integer scale, and a 5 point integer scale.  I use the 0-4 integer scale in my classroom. The breakdown of the scale can be seen below:


Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 2.17.29 PM.png


If each assessment measures more than one practice, that means it needs to be recorded under different categories. When I create an assignment, I code it under all the categories it falls under. So the gradebook looks like this:


Gradebook View.png


So, I will need to put in multiple grades for a single assessment per student. Also, as students demonstrate improvement related to a practice, I will need to exclude assignments from grade calculation.  I’ll be sure not to delete them as they are evidence of growth and part of the learning process.


I remember as a student how many teachers would say that everyone has an “A” on day 1 and it’s up to us to keep that “A”. There could be nothing further from the truth. We all start out with an Incomplete.  We have demonstrated zero mastery. The path to mastery needs to be fair, but we don’t deserve any grade if we haven’t demonstrated anything yet.


Lots of work? We’ll see. This is a process. In the end the goal is to assess, track, and communicate performance. Like anything new, clear communication of the goals of the process and collecting feedback from the users will be essential. So, I look forward to hear from parents and students.


giphy (29).gif

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st