Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

110 Lab Reports in the Queue



This year I am teaching an overload. That means I’m currently teaching 4 out out 4 blocks each day. With all of this work, my blogging has had to take a backseat. Luckily, they are all the same class. That means that I don’t have to set-up different labs for different classes without a break to do this. The downside to having all the same class is that when students do turn in a lab report for me to grade, I have 110 to grade. In a week where we do 2 labs (not unusual in the block), the amount of work to correct can become quite daunting. I can’t just leave these labs sit in the cloud ungraded because they will pile up quickly. Also, I am all about timely feedback. I want to have labs corrected within 2 days of them being turned in. This post in not monumental, but I wanted to share out how I’ve streamlined my practice to become efficient at grading and feedback by leveraging Google Slides and Canvas LMS.

At the start of this school year, I had the intention of incorporating 1 point rubrics into my classroom. I created these nice clear documents for all of our classroom science practices. Then, I realized that since I do all of my grading digitally, having a Google Doc version to provide feedback in wasn’t very useful.

Last school year, I switched from creating lab report templates in Google Docs to Google Slides. One of the big upsides to this was being able to put prompts and directions in the presenter notes for each slide. Looked at from a certain point of view completing the tasks in the speaker notes correctly would be demonstrating mastery on the single point rubric. So rather than having a separate document to communicate what mastery looked like, it is being communicated in detail in the speaker notes.





This means that the scoring rubric itself doesn’t need to have to be in such great detail. It can simply list the areas of focus and a simple rating scale.


But how has this made me more efficient in grading? When I grade labs, I am looking at the live version of the slide show in edit view. This means that I am able to see the speaker notes. When I need to comment, it is usually aligned to something from a part of the speaker notes. I can quickly copy and paste to create a comment on that slide for what needs to be addressed.




I realize that this is not the most descriptive feedback possible, but it will help students identify the issues they need to fix. For those that are unsure of what needs to be addressed, this can at least help start the conversation digitally and they can follow up face to face.

Canvas LMS has made me even more efficient because of their SpeedGrader App. This app allows me to easily access submitted assignments for each student as they are submitted. The Speedgrader window allows me to view the live document and the rubric without switching windows.



Since I’m viewing the live document and not a screen capture of the file, I am able to copy potential feedback comments right from the speaker notes and paste them into my comments. While it is not essential to the feedback process, Speedgrader allows me to easily work through the files I have submitted. 


The feedback I am providing is not intended to be the endpoint of the process. It is really the first step of a revision process. I want students to work towards mastery by looking at the feedback and acting on it. Sometimes, they may have to ask questions for clarification or relearning. Other times, it may be a quick fix such as adding units or communicating ideas more clearly to a general audience. Regardless, the digital feedback loop we can create is a learning cycle that needs to be rapid. That is why being more efficient is important. There is a balance between actionable and timely feedback. I’m still working on it, but I feel that the use of Slides and Canvas have helped me get closer to that goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st