Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Student Paced Flashcard Factory for Distance Learning


I was thrilled when I learned all about a distance learning hack for Pear Deck's Flashcard Factory from Stacey Roshan.

If you're not sure what Flashcard Factory is, it is a free platform for students collaboratively to build digital flashcards that include text and visual representations. These flashcards can then be printed, saved as a pdf, or exported to the online quiz game Gimkit.
You can learn all about Flashcard Factory from the Pear Deck Website here.



As we are all involved in distanced learning right now, students can't work on Flashcard Factory in real time. This hack from Stacey will allow all learners in the class to work on creating a set of cards that can be used by the whole class. The main difference is that instead of students working in pairs, they are working on their own.



Be sure to set a firm deadline. After the deadline you can go in and approve or reject cards. Then, share the PDF with the class, or launch a Gimkit with them.

Don't know what Gimkit is? Check out this post. 



Comments

  1. I do not see the hack from Stacey. Is there a link? Curious how to make Flashcard Factory not assign partners? Please advise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello, if you are unable to view the video in the post here is the direct link to the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXMlhSzfjvM&feature=youtu.be

      Delete
    3. Thanks, but I don't see where this video addresses Flashcard Factory in student-paced mode specifically, perhaps I'm missing something?

      Delete
    4. Hello, there is no true “student paced mode” for flashcard factory. These steps allow you to create a process in which students can complete their own card on their own asynchronously. Similar to Student paced mode in A Pear Deck slide presentation. You start the session, students join, they complete cards individually at their own pace. Then the teacher reviews and approves them at a scheduled end date.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st