Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

EdTech Tools That Are Saving Me


With the holiday break only a few hours away, I decided that I should probably get one post in before the end of the year. I haven't posted in a while because I haven't really had the energy too. It's not that I haven't had things to share. It's just that I haven't had the energy to take the time post anything more than a tweet. 

At my high school, we are currently in-person everyday. But, students had the option to attend class virtually. In person, we are socially distanced (at least 6 feet) in class and wear masks at all times. This means no sharing of materials, no working in groups, and no physical labs. This has challenged the way I teach even more than when we were all asynchronous virtual in the spring of this year. These restrictions could easily have led me down the path of a sit and get classroom. This is what I spent so much of my 20 year in education moving away from. So, it has been a struggle knowing that I am not giving my learners the science experience that I am usually able to. 

So I haven't felt I have had much to celebrate. But, I'd like to take the time to celebrate some of the tools that have really helped my students during this time and some student thoughts on why these tools are great.

Pear Deck 

Pear Deck is a tool I have been using in class for 5 years now. It has been even more powerful to create a sense of classroom community when 1/3 of my students are attending class virtually. It allows ALL students who are attending virtually to submit responses and have those shared with the class. We use it in instructor paced mode during lectures and in student paced mode for practice quizzes that we correct together. 

"The pear decks were really helpful for me because it let me try out the calculations on my own. I really like the pear deck quizzes as well because I could do all the work at my own pace. I liked that it was self paced because I could go through what I understood quickly and spend more time on parts that I was confused on. I usually prefer learning material in classes on my own with some help from teachers so being able to try out momentum questions on my own before seeing the answers was really helpful. "

"Pear Deck is easy to use and very helpful in letting us know almost instantaneously if we are doing the problems correctly or incorrectly, which helped me memorize the right way to use the formulas. That was very beneficial to me, but also just being able to take notes and also do practice problems at the same time really helped solidify my knowledge. "

Gimkit

Gimkit is a super engaging quiz game that we run synchronously in class as a practice options. They have added many different game modes that adds a bit of gamification strategy on top of answering content based questions.

"The Gimkits were the best way for me to practice concepts because it was self-paced and I could absorb the questions and answers while still having fun and competition. It was beneficial because there was a more subconscious race against than a Kahoot. It's especially good if I didn't really understand the material because I got to take my time answering. Gimkit is like a Kahoot, but it's basically self-paced and you get to max out your own points. It helps connect to other information in and outside of school because I know now about Gimkit and I can suggest it instead of a Kahoot if I don't understand material as well. "

"The easiest way for me to engage in new learning was with GimKit. It really put my knowledge to the test and made me realize what I needed more practice with, which was very beneficial in the long run. However, to me, Gimkit was not about getting the highest score or the best place, it was about practicing effectively and correcting my mistakes. "

Flipgrid

Flipgrid has been an amazing tool for learners to express mastery. There are so many different modes of expression in Flipgrid that a majority of my learners choose it as an option when it comes time for summative assessment. 

"The best way for me to show my learning in this unit was through Flipgrid. Here I have embedded a Flipgrid I turned in for my final project to explain a change in momentum. Doing Flipgrids as my project have proven to be very beneficial because I am such a talkative person. I can explain my knowledge so much better in words than I can on a test or even a lab. This connects to the overall world because being able to talk about what you know is a very important life skill, and this is just giving me more practice."

"The best way that showed my learning was through the flip grid videos because it allowed me to express my learning in other ways than just writing on a piece a paper it allowed me to make my own problems that also added a visual aspect into which helps me a lot in learning because I am more of a visual learner. "

Pivot & PhET Virtual Labs

The reason I love teaching physics over biology and chemistry is the number of labs we can do without too much set up. So losing the ability to do those hands-on activities has taken away what we would usually be engaged in 3-4 days a week. Finding virtual lab solutions like PhET Simulations and Pivot Interactive Labs has allowed us to still practice science skills even though we aren't using physical tools.

I construct all of out lab templates in Google Slides (Why? watch this.). The ability to create comment threads with students allows me to provide specific feedback to both virtual and in-person students.

"I really liked using the labs for practice because even though we can't really do hands on labs, the simulations helped me see what different types of collisions looked like. The labs were also helpful because I got more practice with the different calculations. I embedded the Air track collision lab because I was able to practice finding the velocity and then finding the momentum. I like being able to correct my own mistakes when I'm learning new material so when some of my answers were off it was nice that I could correct it and see where I went wrong."

The one thing we all hope is that some of the methods we are adopting during this time will provide some new possibilities when we move to our new normal. I know this is the case with many of the new strategies and tools I am employing. I know this post was not super informative about the "how". Perhaps, that could be a way for me to get back to writing posts...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st