Skip to main content

Physics is Elementary

  On Friday, I was so pleased to be able to return to one of my favorite days of the year, High-Interest Day at Brookfield Elementary School. This is a day where I have been able to bring the concepts of physics to k-5 graders. You may be asking yourself, "Elementary students doing physics?" YES! Not just experimenting, but understanding the concepts behind the physics of electricity and sound.  This is a very special day I have had the opportunity to be involved in since 2017. So, how are we able to bring the concepts of electricity and sound traditionally taught to high school 11th and 12th graders to the elementary level? There are a few keys 1) make it a hands-on experience 2) remove the mathematical calculations and make it practical. In the past, I had the luck of bringing a handful of my physics students with me to guide the elementary students through the concepts that they had learned over the course of the year. But in my new role as a Teaching and Learning Speciali

Is Your Assessment #Instaworty?


insta worthy

When a picture is good enough to be posted on Instagram
1. Do you like this picture? Oh yeah, totally insta worthy!
-From Urban Dictionary


In a presentation I attended at ISTE, Kasey Bell focused on students publishing for real world audiences. As I near the point of completion on my master’s project work, I’ve been thinking about that session. While I will be using the product of my work in my classroom this fall, the nearly 100 hours of work I have spent putting the project together will culminate in a presentation to one person. The only person who will hear me speak to my work will be my academic advisor. Thinking on that, I realize how this is a direct reflection on many of the assessments students complete in my classroom. These assessments are presented to an audience of one or one confined to the walls of the classroom.

Think about anytime you’ve finished an exam. Were you feeling a sense of relief because it was done or a sense of accomplishment because you shared the results of the work you’ve done? In my schooling experience, finishing an assessment ended with a sense of relief because I had just regurgitate everything I had learned onto a Scantron or bluebook. There was no pride in constructing a document that would have any relevance beyond a grade exchange with an instructor.

It’s a hard truth and a cycle that we need to begin to break. There is great power in hitting that publish button to make your work public for the world. I just think about the feeling before I hit publish on a blog post. There are those butterflies in my stomach before clicking that button. How can we create that same experience for our learners and the assessments they create?

We are really looking at two aspects here: 1) Creating works that can be shared with a public audience 2) Sharing these works with audiences of interest. I want to keep this post super simple and just start thinking about the easiest ways to think about the first thing, making a publishable assessment product.

What would happen if we asked students to share out their work on summative assessments? Just imagine students taking pictures of their answers to test questions and posting them to Instagram. Think about that for a moment. How would you feel if you had a student post their work on an assessment to Instagram? Would you consider it cheating because it would just be a picture of a test and it’s answers that any student could replicate? Would it be a something that audiences would understand? Could someone learn something about the subject or the learner’s voice from this post?

Is your assessment #instaworthy?

For my graduate project, I will be using a short slide show presentation in an online conference to present my work. We can have students do the same with their work, but the presentation would still be a closed loop between student and teacher. An option I began giving students a few years ago was making screencasts in lieu of a face to face presentation. In the screencast, the student can walk through the presentation by providing audio narration. In some screencasting apps, students can have their face appear in the corner of the screen or provide live annotations to the slides as they present. I recorded myself giving my presentation as a way to practice what I was going to speak to. When recording myself, I couldn’t just fake it and think that I knew what I was saying. 

I don’t expect anyone to watch this as it is a fairly specific topic: Next Generation Science Standards and the process of designing curricular units for the classroom. It's also over 45 minutes long. But the ability to publish the screencast video to YouTube will allow any interested parties to view it. The fact that I knew it was going to be published made me correct some errors that I made rather than just telling myself, it’ll be fine when I do it “for real.” This version will live on past 8/20/18 (the day of my presentation). Who knows, it may even get 2 views, That would be more than my actual presentation.




The ability to screencast can be easily done in the classroom from a smartphone, tablet, desktop, chromebook, or laptop. We’ve used a few different screencasting apps. They have different features and some do require subscriptions, but most allow for some free use. Here are some that we have used:
  • Screencastify: An easy to use app that is used in Google Chrome. It works great since we are 1:1 with Chromebooks. This is one that I personally use the most.
  • Explain Everything: An app we purchased for our class iPads (this was 5 years ago.) The app has changed a bit and there are subscriptions available for Chromebooks. Students love it because there are lots of great annotation and drawing tools. 
  • QuickTime Player: Some of our students have macbooks so they can use this macos app to record their screens and capture audio narration.
  • Screen Recording in iOS: many of our students have iPhones and iOS 11 allow them to do screen recordings that save to the camera roll
  • Screencast-O-matic: Another screencast app that is widely praised in EdTech circles, but I have yet to use. 
Check out this post from Richard Byrne to see a detailed comparison of different screencasting tools.

Screencasting is just a first step to creating assessments that students could publish to a global audience. It is a small step from taking a presentation students give in front of class to one which can be shared beyond the classroom walls. Again, I recommend checking out Kasey’s presentation for some other great ideas.

But, if you publish it will anyone view it? That used to be a great fear of mine. It was something that held me back from blogging more. It’s one thing to publish a work to a larger audience, but will anyone ever view it? I’m not an expert on this piece so I won’t pretend to be. I have a lot to learn about YouTube in terms of adding tags and descriptions to make videos more visible in searches. But, isn’t that a skill we should all have? This is where leveraging social media becomes key. My hope this year is to do a better job of sharing the screencasts students create, even if it is just with parents. But, I think it would be pretty amazing to ask students to share their products with audiences that may be interested using social media. I plan on digging into Jennifer Casa-Todd’s book and podcast Social LEADia to help me with more ideas!

As a part of my students’ final exam, they curate their work into a portfolio of artifacts. Looking back at their portfolios, it’s clear that some assessments students complete are more audience friendly. I hope I can keep pushing myself to allow for these #instaworthy opportunities in my classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st