Skip to main content

Student Learning Is the most Authentic Project





At the end of my physics course, there are fundamental content understandings and science skills students need to have about the physical world.  That is why they are taking physics. In addition, though,  I want them to have a better understanding of who they are as learners.  As a part of my journey towards making learning more personal, I am trying to recognize that students have different preferred learning environments.  I want students to be able to explore different modes of learning and learn about how they learn.  To that end, I have had students work on creating a personal learning preference document.


As I try to implement more project based learning into my classroom, I realized that having my students create and share a personal learning profile may be the most beneficial and authentic project for them.  Let me try to frame it in terms of the essential design elements of PBL:




Challenging Problem or Question

The driving question for this project could be considered: How do I learn best?  The goal is for students define their strengths and challenges in the areas of accessing content, engaging with content, and demonstrating understanding.   


Sustained Inquiry

Over the course of 2 terms, students had the opportunity to experiment with different forms of accessing content knowledge, practicing in class, and multiple forms of expressing understanding.  


Authenticity

This couldn't be more real.  Students are looking at their own learning as their learning.  They are seeing what works for themselves.


Student Voice & Choice

As a part of learning their strengths and challenges, students were given freedom to experiment with different modes of learning.


Reflection

As part of their final exam, students revisited their personal learning preferences.  They filled out the document below.







Critique and Revision
At the end of each unit, students reflected on what benefited their learning, what was not helping their learning, and what they would like to try in class.


Public Product

Ultimately this document is for their own benefit.  In order to make this actionable information, students emailed this document as a part of an introduction to the teachers they will be having in the 3rd and 4th terms.  The fact that this document will be the first impression most teachers have of them, will make students put a bit more effort into the final product.


Of course all students completed this PLP document with different levels of enthusiasm and dedication.  I'd like to highlight a couple, though.



I did have a student say to me, "What does it matter what I prefer? It's not like a teacher is going to change what they do just because I learn differently." I hope educators at my school can prove that student wrong.



Popular posts from this blog

Waves of Innovation in Elmbrook Part 1

As a part of a graduate project, I am looking at innovations in education within my school district, Elmbrook Schools. I am specifically focusing on those looking to provide learners with more ownership over their own learning (a.k.a. personalizing learning). I've completed 4 interviews so far.  I had no intention of sharing them via this blog.  But, I think the stories and insights of these educators really are important for all.  They were vulnerable in a way that shows their passion for what they are undertaking.  They want the best for all learners not simply students, but educators who may hear their words.  So, please take the time to listen to their stories.  


In this video, Jeff Ortman a teacher in his 22nd year, discusses implementing strategies to give students ownership of their learning in his high school English classroom.  He discusses why he wanted to change his learning environment, his first steps to bring change, how choice and feedback are key to his classroom, a…

Can I Believe These Numbers?

Our union put out the results of a recent district survey.  The number of those who responded to the survey was low in comparison to the total number of certified staff. But the number and comments related to personalized learning struck me as troubling.


Based on this data, over half of the district staff polled are not onboard with the district's vision for personalized learning.  I would argue that not knowing the district vision for personalized learning is synonymous with not understanding what personalized learning is. The mission of the Elmbrook School Districtto inspire every student to think, to learn and to succeed.  By personalizing learning, we hope to achieve that mission.
I begin to question have we put the phrase before the meaning?  Have we thrown out this word without intention?  Have we made it to much of another thing to do rather than a method to achieve our shared vision.
These numbers shake me to the core.  After the recent presidential election, I realized I was…

How to Personalize Learning Part 3: Knowing How a Classroom Learns

Now, it may seem contradictory to state that teachers should create a classroom learner toolkit.  All individuals in our class have their own profile. We can’t simply design on blanket profile for the class.  That is very true.  That’s why Bray and McClaskey take a different approach to what a classroom learning toolkit looks like.  It is a 3-step process Class Learning Snapshot Preferences and Needs Class Learning Toolkit

Class Learning Snapshot In this model of designing tools for a whole classroom, the authors first recommend the teacher identify 4 learners who are diverse.  The Class Learning Snapshot records the specific strengths, talents, interests, and challenges of those four learners. If a teacher could meet the needs of these diverse learners through UDL, the needs of the other students in the class would probably be met.

Student Strengths, Talents, and Interests Challenges 1 It's easier for me to understand content when I am taught by a teacher and then am able to get informati…