Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Being more Proficient with Proficiency.



As a part of the Innovator's Mindset MOOC, we've been challenged to implement a change with the goal of innovation. A couple of weeks ago, I had an idea that I want to put in place for my classroom. It's not huge, but it will require a significant step from me to implement and make it meaningful for students.

Over the past years, I have been developing proficiency scales for each of the major unit objectives in my Physics courses.  I've modeled these scales I first learned about from Marzano Research. Find a great bank here and access with a free account. I try to have students look at the scale when we complete a formative quiz and rate themselves on that scale.  But, it's not until we approach the summative assessment where we really take the time to break down what each level looks like in depth.  They then create their own piece of media to demonstrate mastery. I'm looking to change up the way I present the proficiency scale a bit.

I've decided that for the remainder of the year before we begin any new unit, I will do a screencast of what each level of the rubric actually entails beyond just the basic text that appears in the rubric. The idea is to be up front and honest at the start of a unit with where I expect students to be in their thinking by the end of the unit. 

Now, I don't expect students to be watching it on day 1, but as we progress through the unit a quick viewing of the video will help them identify gaps in their understanding.  I hope that it will help students frame questions about what they don't understand when they are seeking help.  When we reach the summative assessment, it will become a curated piece to help them review what they need to demonstrate as they work on their assessment whatever format that may take.

From my perspective, it gives me a chance to articulate to myself what I want students to know and be able to do before we enter the unit beyond just a few statements in a rubric. 

My goal is to go from where I am now where I provide students easy access to something like this for each unit:


 

To providing easy access to something like this:
Note: I gave myself a limit of 30 minutes of time to create this video. I told myself it could not be perfect. That is going to be a big thing for me.  I can tend to be a tinkerer when it comes to video editing. (It would probably be my 2nd career choice if I was forced to do it all again) I say all that to say this screencast is rudimentary to say the least. OK, enough apologizing for taking a risk.




This video has the two main objectives from the unit. I could have split them into two but I'll wait to see what they feedback says before I take any action. I hope to have students watch the first objective the day after we cover the first content to see where their personal gaps are. I think maybe rather than assigning a bunch of problem sets for students to complete having them reflect on what they don't understand in the video will help us be more focused in the practice each student needs. I could easily collect this information via a digital form. A lot of teachers I know run mini-seminars for extra practice on specific topics.  This feedback on gaps could then drive the seminars. 

Stream of consciousness while proofreading here: I beginning to realize that this screencast is not really the innovation.  It's how I'll use the screencast as a tool to help each learner pinpoint what practice they need. It's a way to make remediation a bit more efficient. Providing a clear picture of the endpoint and having students see what they need to get there is the goal.  The structure of the screencast, reflection, and remediation options will be iterations on my way to innovation. 

At the end of the unit, I really want some feedback on the what would make the video quality and content better for them once we get to the end of the unit.  I expect my students to hold me accountable. If it is something they find useful, they will come to demand it. 

The goal here is to make the end point clear, but not give them an exemplar that would take away from any creativity or give them something simply to copy.  I think I'll keep trying to find that balanced based on student feedback and the products I see. 

I'm taking baby steps here with student feedback for course correction. But thinking big, it would be really powerful if I could start each unit by sharing a student product from the previous year to guide where we are going. 

I hope to do a follow-up post with feedback from students at the end of this unit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st