Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

How to Personalize Learning Part 3: Knowing How a Classroom Learns


Now, it may seem contradictory to state that teachers should create a classroom learner toolkit.  All individuals in our class have their own profile. We can’t simply design on blanket profile for the class.  That is very true.  That’s why Bray and McClaskey take a different approach to what a classroom learning toolkit looks like.  It is a 3-step process
  1. Class Learning Snapshot
  2. Preferences and Needs
  3. Class Learning Toolkit


Class Learning Snapshot

In this model of designing tools for a whole classroom, the authors first recommend the teacher identify 4 learners who are diverse.  The Class Learning Snapshot records the specific strengths, talents, interests, and challenges of those four learners. If a teacher could meet the needs of these diverse learners through UDL, the needs of the other students in the class would probably be met.


Student
Strengths, Talents, and Interests
Challenges
1
  • It's easier for me to understand content when I am taught by a teacher and then am able to get information that’s written down. A pre-read also helps.
  • It's easiest for me to work when I am able to collaborate with others.
  • It's easiest for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I take a written test or do group projects.
  • I like to draw and play softball


  • It's difficult for me to understand content when I am given a video and told to teach myself.
  • It's difficult for me to work when there are a lot of distractions.
  • It's difficult for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I have to give a presentation.
  • 2
    • It's easier for me to understand content when I receive paper handouts and notes. I like listening to lectures in class and adding my own notes from what the teacher says.
    • It's easiest for me to work when there is a deadline because I procrastinate and it motivates me to finish the assignment.
    • It's easiest for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I create and give a presentation or when I take a test because both of those methods force me to learn the information.
    • Soccer, tennis, running, skiing, traveling, service to others, and history/politics


  • It's difficult for me to understand content when I review a lecture on my own at home and take my own notes, without the teacher going over and reiterating the topics
  • It's difficult for me to work when there are distractions (ie when I am not with my close friends)
  • It's difficult for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I create a video or write-up because while I can successfully create these, I do not fully take in all the information.
  • 3
    • It's easier for me to understand content when it is explained in pictures
    • It's easiest for me to work when I have access to a computer
    • It's easiest for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I can write about it
    • Working with computers


  • It's difficult for me to understand content when it is not visually presented or written
  • It's difficult for me to work when in a large group
  • It's difficult for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I have to make videos
  • 4
    • It's easier for me to understand content when I take or copy notes
    • It's easier for me to understand content when I take or copy notes
    • It's easiest for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I make a presentation
    • gymnastics, golf, track


  • It's difficult for me to understand content when I watch a video
  • It's difficult for me to work when I procrastinate
  • It's difficult for me to demonstrate why I've learned when I have to write a paper

  • Preferences and Needs

    The next step requires the teacher to look at the preferences and needs for each of these diverse learners. It is important that the teacher records these for all areas of learning access, engagement, and expression. Again, it’s important to consider why learners want to engage with the content you are presenting. Diverse learners have different points of entry to the content.  These should be factored into the document.


    Student
    Strengths, Talents, and Interests
    Challenges




    Access: notes/ outlines are helpful, reading from the textbook is not helpful
    I just learn better when I am taught by a teacher
    Engage: working with others is helpful, no class time to work is not helpful
    Express: presenting is helpful for demonstrating, writing is hard for me to demonstrate




    Access: Paper handouts and notes (can focus on listening during the lecture and I am more motivated to complete it). Watching and listening to the teacher present (how I like to learn the information).
    Engage: Assignments with definite deadlines that are enforced (motivates me to complete the work and stay on track). Variance in group and individual work (when there are bigger projects spreading the workload is beneficial, however sometimes when I am in groups I do not trust my partners and want to complete the work myself).
    Express: Creating a presentation and giving it to the class (forces me to review the information and learn it well enough to tell others about it). Taking tests (forces me to study and learn the information).



    Access: I would like there to be at least some visual representation of concepts discussed in class as well as ways to get information outside of class
    Engage: I would like there to be far more paper worksheets and packets than digital ones, or at least the option to do them on paper instead of online
    Express: I would like there to be more writing and testing than video creation or presentations



    Access: Outline of notes and reading the book helps
    Watching videos does not help
    Engage: Working in groups is helpful
    No class time to work is not helpful
    Express: Presenting and taking tests are helpful
    Writing a paper is not helpful

    Class Learning Toolkit

    The Class Learning Toolkit is a catalog of the tools and strategies learners will use to access content, engage with content, and express mastery.  Tools could be technology such as apps or organizational frameworks. To start building the toolkit, look at the preferences and needs of those learners in the snapshot. Find tools to fit the needs.  Don’t simply add tools because it is sophisticated.  Tools are designed to fit a need. Don’t complicate students lives by introducing tools they have no need for.


    To create the Class Learning Toolkit, the teacher first needs to first divide all resources into the category of access, engage, or express. For each tool, the teacher records how the tool could be used by the teacher as a part of an instruction.  This section is called “Instructional Method”. This section is used to provide examples of how a teacher would use the tool to instruct students.  The second categorization for each tool is “Learning Strategies and Skills”.  In this section, the skills the tool will enhance fot the learner are stated. Below is a sample with three tools that are essential to my learners.


    Tools/Apps
    Instructional Methods
    Learning Strategies and Skills
    Access
    YouTube
    Teacher can find video clips that relate to specific content in order to provide another perspective on a topic.
    Learners can learn to analyze media which contains visual and audio information.
    Engage
    Pear Deck
    Teacher can use this as a tool to build practice questions into large groups instruction.
    Learners can use this tools to engage in guided practice with instructor.
    Express
    Explain Everything
    Teacher can create audio/video lessons for students to view.
    Learners can create multimedia documents with spoken words and images they generate to demonstrate deep understanding of a concept.
    The final Class Learning Toolkit is organized  around each of the four diverse learners, the tools, instructional methods, and learning strategies and skills they employ to meet the learner’s needs.


    Student
    Tools, apps, resources
    Instructional Methods
    Learning Strategies and Skills
    1
    Prezi
    Create dynamic presentations for large group instruction.
    Organize information for presentation of content to demonstrate mastery
    2
    Pear Deck
    Teacher can use this as a tool to build practice questions into large groups instruction.
    Learners can use this tools to engage in guided practice with instructor.
    3
    Phet Simulations
    Allows for visual representations through simulations.
    Collect and analyze data in experiments.
    4
    GSuite
    Provide easy access to documents online.
    Collaborate on document creation with peers.

    As teachers learn more about each learner in their class, they will be able to help guide learners to appropriate tools and strategies.  As the teacher identifies new learner needs, tools can be added to the list.  Again, this toolkit is just the start.  Tools that are useful should be added.  But as with every tool, the user needs to know its intended function and when it will be most useful.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Twitter Cards for Blogger

    So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

    Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

      Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

    Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

    At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st