Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Building Relationships


Every teacher I know has a story about that one teacher that believed in and challenged them. John Spencer and A. J. Juliani are no different. In the first chapters of their new book Empower, they tell stories of the teachers that saw their profession not simply as a job, but as a place to connect and let students learn about themselves.  These teachers challenged them but also formed a personal connection with so strong that it guides their work today.


When I hear these stories, I doubt that I have formed those kinds of relationships with students. I feel like it may be one of the areas where I have the biggest room for growth as an educator.


As George Couros champions in the Innovator's Mindset, it’s all about relationships. That catchy phrase “guide on the side” has poisoned me to wit in the back seat for the learning occurring in my classroom, and I’ve risked the relationships with my students. In the book, Spencer and Juliani speak of the power that a guide holds and the key role that guides play in every student's learning story, a.k.a the archetypical Hero's Journey.


There’s a great quote in chapter 2 of Empower that hit me hard,
“We must step aside as the gatekeepers and instead move next to our learners to take the journey together.” (pg. 20)


I’m pretty good at stepping aside as a the one true source of answers.  But, stepping aside doesn’t mean stepping away. When students are finding their own answers to their own questions, that doesn’t mean teachers don’t have a role to play. Defining that new role is something I’m struggling with.


In order to empower students by their side, it’s not enough to simply know the content that I’m teaching. I need to become a learner, too. I need to be open to learning about my students beyond performance on content assessments.  I need to know their strengths, challenges, interests, and aspirations. I’ve been working on this, but it’s a role I’m not used to.  Spencer and Juliani, outline many dynamic shifts required to create a learning environment that empowers learners. This is one of those shifts.  There will be times where teachers don’t have the answers. We need to be ok with that and be willing to learn along side our students and help navigate that path.


It’s one thing when students are exploring passion projects unrelated to course content. Teachers may not know the answers, but they can help in the discovery process. But, when studying course specific content, teachers can help find those connections between interests and content.  I know my course content and the skills associated with it. I may not have all the answers to how a student’s passions connect to my content, but I can help chart that course.


So how do I get there? I’ve had students work on digital personal learner profiles in the past.  But, without that collaboration between student and teacher, those meaningful relationships aren’t going to be built. In Empower, the importance of 1:1 conferencing is highlighted as a key strategy to building this relationship. I need to be explicitly be doing more of this. These conferences proposed are empowered conferences. This means that they are student led. The can be for seeking advice in the process, reflecting on progress, or demonstrating mastery. But in every case, the student owns the conference and the one who may be learning the most is the teacher.


It’s one thing to allow my students to practice a messy process of learning.  But, I’ve got to be willing to be beside each student in that mess. The teachers that I remember the most weren’t the ones who demonstrated brilliance in their content area. They were the ones who took an interest in who I was and helped me see that their content was quite exciting.

Mr. Gouse was my 5th grade teacher. Even though his expertise was science, I didn't get my love of science from him. He actually helped spark my love for telling stories. He was the teacher who allowed me to take time during class to write short plays. These plays were then directed by me and performed in front of our class in our performance space called the Rainbow Room. Yes, plays like "The Great Grocery Store Robbery" and "The Deal" were fairly violent. But, he didn't stand in the way of my of my creativity. He saw that passion and gave it the oxygen it needed to catch fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st