Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Law of System Change

As I look back on the material we covered in physics this year, I can’t help but see the connections to my life as a professional.  I’ve spoken about Newton’s 1st Law of Motion in my last post.  But, the 2nd Law is equally relevant.

It’s great to be in motion. But constant motion in the same direction at the same speed, isn’t always a good idea. What if you need to get somewhere faster, make a turn, or come to a stop.  In those cases, it is essential that you are able to change your motion. The physics term for change in motion (how fast or what direction) is acceleration. More specifically, acceleration is the rate at which your motion is changing.  So, acceleration is a function of time.


The only way to change an object’s motion, or get it to accelerate, is with a push or pull.  In other words, an acceleration requires a force. To be more accurate, an unbalanced (or net) force. Newton’s Second Law of Motion describe the factors that affect this acceleration:
The net force on an object is directly related to the acceleration it experiences
This seems like common sense. If you push identical objects with different forces, the one you push with more force will have a larger change in motion.

If net force is constant, the acceleration on an object is inversely related to its mass.
Again common sense in that if you applied the same force to objects with different masses, the object with less mass will have the greater change in motion.

Putting these two relationships together, we get a mathematical formula relating all three variables. This is the fundamental formula describing Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion.

Changing the motion of an object is one thing, but I can’t but help to see a connection to changes we are looking to make in our classrooms and schools. As Newton’s 2nd states, we need a net force to make change happen. The result of that force depends directly on the size of the system we are trying to change. I may be able to produce a force to produce meaningful change within my own classroom. But when that system gets bigger than a single classroom, I’d need more actors - more force to produce meaningful, observable change.

The rate of change in any system is inversely related to the size of that system. That might seem self-evident, but sometimes we may try to do too much on our own. Or, we don’t build a big enough team to generate the required force to change larger systems. I’m the kind of person who always feels like I can do it all on my own. So, I don’t ask for help. But the times when I have asked for any help at all in anything new I am looking to do, I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to contribute.

The important thing to remember about the force is that it’s not only about the sizes of the forces that are acting. We have to consider the direction forces are acting in. Are all the members of our team working in the same direction? It’s not about individual forces, it’s about the net force. Before we start pushing, we need to check to see if we are all pushing in the right direction. If not, there will be no measurable change.
But if all of our team is pulling in the same direction, it may not take as much force as we think to produce meaningful change.
So when we are looking to make meaningful change in our schools, we need to remember the Law of Change

So before you look to implement change in your classroom or school, there are a few things to consider.
What is the size of the system you are looking to change? Who can you recruit to help implement this change? In your classroom, it’s not about you alone.  How can you get by in from your students? Beyond your classroom, look to your PLC or your PLN.
Before you act as a team, are you maximizing your force? Are you all working in the same direction? You’ll waste a lot less energy if you reach consensus before you take action. I get so frustrated when I am asked to take action but am told to walk back legitimately good work I’ve done because the direction was not made clear before we started our work. Goals may change on the road, but a clearly vision at the start can save a team frustration and wasted energy.

All of our actions are important whether they are fruitful or failures. We must always consider how our actions affect the whole system. Because as the 3rd law says,
for every action force there is an equal but opposite reaction force.
But more on that next time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st