Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Ready Student One...








In the book and movie Ready Player One, users visit a virtuality space called the Oasis to play, work, create, and learn. Although the world of the Oasis was set in the future, there are virtual spaces where students can learn and create in today.
In a recent episode of Matt Miller’s Ditch That Textbook Podcast, I was introduced to a new virtual reality tool for the classroom by his guest Mike Drezek. That tool is CoSpaces EDU. It is a great tool for teachers and learners to build interactive 3D environments on their own our collaboratively.  These environments can be viewed on web enabled devices like smartphones, tablets, chromebooks, and desktops. Smartphones can be put into a VR viewer like Google Cardboard to make the environment a fully explorable VR experience.
If you head to the Cospace web site and login, you can explore the gallery of user created environments.  If you want to get the VR experience in the gallery, you can download the Cospaced EDU App.

We are having our Fine Arts Extraveganza this week at Brookfield Central High School. So, I decided to create a space featuring BC student work recognized by the Scholastic Art Awards. This gallery space can be navigated with some very basic interactive elements coded in.
Please check out our students' amazing work by following this link and use the arrows to navigate or in VR use the button on the headset to move in the direction you are pointing https://cospac.es/edu/c5n4. But you don't need a headset to experience it if you click on the link. You can also navigate the embedded version below. But, I'd recommend using the link.


If you have the app, you can also scan this QR Code to access the VR art space.
In addition, you can create your own account and start creating. Cospaces is a freemium app so some of the features can’t be used with the free account, but there is lots of power to behold in the free version to be sure!
Cospaces have a great interactive tutorial that will automatically be added to your spaces.  In addition, they have a YouTube Channel with lots of short but rich tutorial videos to get started. Below is a very minimalistic slide tutorial I will be walking my students through next week.
I have lots of ideas in my mind for how I will use it next year (especially the real physics engine) to let students explore and create. But this year, I’m having some of my students use it to create a space for their passion project presentation. For those students who would traditionally be creating a poster to present their work, I am asking them to create a digital space for their audience to visit. This way it can be shared beyond our presentation night and I won’t have to collect all those pieces of poster board to be recycled in a dumpster. In addition, they'll be able to exercise some skills involving coding and designing in three dimensions with the goal of making an interactive expereince rather than a static representation. I look forward to sharing some of what my learners make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st