Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Building Student Centered Lessons


One of the goals of many new standards being proposed across the nation and globally from CCSS to NGSS and ISTE is to put students at the center of the learning experience. To "take ownership" over the learning. Katie Martin in her book Learner Centered Innovation lays out the 10 Characteristics of Learner Centered Experiences. If you haven't read her post highlighting the characteristics, read it here. 

As I look to align my curriculum for the upcoming year, it is not as easy as it sounds. In a passion project situation student questioning leads them to new understandings that take them beyond content goals of my classroom. But when student questioning is supposed to lead to content (and skill) mastery it can become tough to guide that process. That is one of my biggest fears about our upcoming school year. When students ask questions, how can we honor them.

In our new science standards every unit is guided by a real world phenomenon that addresses the content outcomes of the unit. Something that will get students asking questions right away. Rather than a pretest, students construct conceptual models for their understanding of the phenomenon. Essentially, "tell me what you think is going on." Teachers look at these initial models to help see where students are at in their current understandings key to the model.

If there are misconceptions, it is necessary for the teacher to design experiential lessons for students to address these. In addition to misconceptions, the teacher needs to help learners address those questions they pose about the phenomenon. While a teacher might be able to tell students the answer, that is not the expereince we are looking for. We need to start thinking about lessons as active learning experiences. Yes, there will be bridges that the student may need to led, but the lessons experiences that form the learning.  And while I am hoping to build experiences when students can discover the answers to their questions, I can't stop there. Ultimately the goal is to get learners to the point where they can begin designing the paths to discover the answers to these questions. That means mapping out the steps and tools required.

So when I'm trying to build these experiences, there are several considerations I need to take into account:
  • Do I have a good central hook/phenomenon? This is not science specific! Is the driving question of your unit creating interest? Will it be able to carry interest over the course of a series of days?
  • Am I giving opportunity for my learners to express their ideas and questions? Are these explanations deep enough to show what students are thinking? What kinds of tools can I use to let all learners express themselves.
  • Am I taking the time to consider all student responses? I may have a plan of what the unit might look like ahead of time. But, will I be willing to scrap my best laid plans in favor of what my learners actually need. Taking more time when needed or ditching favorite lessons students have already mastered.
  • What is my role in the process? Will I be willing to hand control of more of the practices over to the learners. How will I model these practices so that learners feel confident in the process?
  • Is there a structure of formative assessment of both content and practices built into the process? Is the formative assessment formal enough to provide feedback but not too burdensome in order to keep the feedback timely? How will I leverage technology and face to face conferring to make this happen?
  • What will assessment look like? Will there be opportunities for students to demonstrate mastery content and practices/skills? Will students be able to find a mode of assessment that removes obstacles unrelated to the desired outcomes?
A lot of considerations, I know. When I look at the stages in a unit storyline, it is a process. I may have a predetermined path, but ultimately it needs to be the students who are driving the storyline. When you look at the storyline, remember the phenomenon is just the hook or driving question. The model is just student understanding of that driving question. So this is not just for science.

I'm excited to share the process of how I am able to handle these phenomenon driven storylines. What worked, what didn't, and how I'm going to respond.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st