Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Teach Like a Person




When I saw Dave Burgess present this week, the buzz in the room after was amazing. But it seemed like the many of us felt that we could never do that, myself included. A big takeaway from Dave is not that he wants us to do that but do that. Let me explain what I mean. Dave is a teacher who brings his interests, his strengths, and his passions to his teaching. He is using who he is to create his voice as a teacher. That means he will do magic tricks. That means he will use his love of theatrics. That means he will bring his mad MC skills to throw down some high velocity prose. Teaching like a Dave doesn’t mean trying to do magic or trying to speak at 200 words per minute. It means bringing yourself into the classroom. If I’m going to teach like a pirate, it won’t be by putting on a Dave Burgess mask. To teach like a pirate, I need to be comfortable with putting who I am in front of my classroom and leveraging everything I bring to engage and empower my learners.
So that requires doing a true inventory of who I am. A couple of years ago, I completed a learner preferences document that was framed in terms of Universal Design for Learning. The preferences template was created by Barbara Bray and Kathleen McClaskey.  It’s something my learners do and I give an example of my form as a learner. But, maybe I need to complete a Teaching Preferences document looking at my strengths, challenges, interests, and aspirations. I reframed the learner presences document to a teacher preferences document. I then completed it following some prompts.




Identifying strengths, challenges, and preferences & needs when it comes to the following in the role as a teacher:
Engagement: When are you most excited as a professional?
  • Think about content pieces you cover
  • Think about skills you teach
  • Think about other aspects of your job
    • Grading
    • Designing instruction
    • Giving Feedback
  • Reflecting on your practice
  • Collaborating with others
  • Think about your flow through times of day and times of the year
Access: How do you learn new methods or grow as a professional?
  • How do you keep up with your content?
  • How do you keep up with pedagogy?
  • How do you process new information?
  • How do you connect with other professionals?
  • How do you reflect on your practice and new ideas? 
Express: How do you teach, prepare to teach, and carry out the other aspects of your profession?
  • Think about preparing lessons
  • Consider large group instruction
  • Consider transitions
  • Consider student-directed work time
  • Consider providing and soliciting feedback
  • Consider communication with parents
  • Consider formative assessment
  • Consider summative assessment
  • Consider how you share your practice with peers
These are very broad categories that could easily be broken down into more different elements. I’ve just put some cursory questions/areas to drive thinking, but these are just off of the top of my head. I think that developing guiding questions or statements in each category would make this a truly powerful process for teachers to evaluate themselves without the stigma of a traditional evaluation.
Preferences & Needs is where one can start thinking about how being mindful of yourself as you work at your craft. What works for me? What brings out the best in me as an educator? What is required for me to feel the most confident about my ability to be an amazing educator?
Just because something is considered a challenge, doesn’t mean it should be abandoned. But this is not a great tool to help educators face challenge areas and grow.  The amazing Tara Martin has developed a great tool to guide teachers along a path for growth and facing challenges. She has developed the R.E.A.L. + Innovator’s Compass Process.
You can read more about it here on her blog. But what’s even more powerful is to have her walk you through the process through the power of her own unique voice in the video below.



Interests, Talents, and Passions are what define you are as a person. Why would you put them in a locker at the start of your workday. Don’t check your passion at the door. That’s where your enthusiasm, your fire, your YOU comes from. That’s what’s going to make your lessons come to life. This doesn’t just mean bringing your passions to pair on your content. There are days where I can bring my love of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a physics lesson. But, there are days when I can just talk about dogs with a student. These conversations are where we build the relationships with our learners. When a learners know you as a person, they are more likely to feel comfortable asking for assistance when they get stuck. You become more than an authority figure behind a desk who delivers content. You become a person who shares - a person who a learner can share their learning journey with. You are no longer sitting on high in the throne of judgement. You are able to pull up a chair beside a learner as a source of guidance.
This leads me to understand what I need to leverage as a teacher: my strengths, talents, interests, and passions. But that’s not the end of the story. It’s just the introduction. My voice is important as a teacher to put my passion on display and get me fully engaged in my lesson. But, my ultimate goal is to get my students engaged in the learning! That’s where you need to elicit the same ideas from your learners in terms of their strengths, challenges, needs, interests, aspirations, and passions. That’s what will inform your instruction.
If you see that your strengths aren’t aligned to a student’s needs, that is a sign that you need to challenge yourself and grow as an educator. That doesn’t mean that you need to take acting lessons to become a performer if a student needs it. That means you (and the learner) search out resources that will help meet their needs. You will never be able to TEACH all 100+ of your students in the way that meets their needs. But, you can help them LEARN in the way that best meets their needs. That’s your job.
Listening to Dave Burgess speak to the importance of our profession will not make you feel guilty about the times you may have lacked that passion in the classroom. His lessons will make you feel like taking action to bring your passion into the classroom. That is everything great teaching does. It’s not about getting student attention while you’re teaching. It’s about what happens when you’re done teaching. Are learners driven to act or are they just happy to be off the hook?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st