Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

To Template or Not to Template



After school last week, I was lamenting to my co-teacher Andelee Espinosa that there still wasn’t a way to deliver copies of a template of a Google Site to students. She responded that it wasn’t a bad thing. She said that the creation of a website from scratch was actually the kind of skill all of our students should have. The ability to show them how easy it is to create the site was the power of the tool, she said. Andelee was right. That revelation has caused me to think a bit more about how quick I am to make and distribute templates of documents for all of my learners. There is clearly a trade-off I make when I make templates. I need to be a bit more reflective when I make an assignment if I should or shouldn’t distribute a template.
When I first learned of Doctopus years ago, I couldn’t get enough of it. It allowed me to make a copy of a template of an assignment for all of my students that was already shared. There definitely are benefits giving students a template to work from
  • The template provides a structure for students to follow in standardized documents like a lab report. This is especially beneficial at the beginning of the year when we are looking to introduce students to and help guide them through these structured documents.
  • In every classroom, there is a wide spectrum of needs for supports. A template can help provide those scaffolds for learners. The great thing about Doctopus is that is allows us to send out different versions to different learners. This means we can target the scaffolds for those students who need them. 
  • Another thing that I find powerful about templates is the ability to provide prompts to drive the writing. These prompts can help guide students more than any rubric could. Well written prompts can provide students with a proper focus for their work.
  • This was more of an issue when we started with G Suite, but the issue with viewing rights is eliminated when using Docotpus. The document is created by the teacher and shared with the student. So, the issue with sharing settings is not an issue.
When I think about the push to help students be creators of their own works, it brings out some of the failings of the practice of providing templates. 
  • At the most basic level, students are losing the basic digital document skills. These include simple things like creating a document and sharing settings to more complex skills like formatting texts, adding page numbers, and adding tables of contents. 
  • A template takes out some of the important planning decisions students need to make when choosing how to express information. A template not simply provides an outline for presentation, a template limits the document type in which students must work. The ability to match medium to the content is a very important media literacy skill.
  • The outline of the template itself places some constraints on creativity. While it may provide a bar which all students must reach, sometime that bar can be viewed as the ceiling for what needs to be done. There is great power in assignments without fences. Prompts are great but can be restrictive. Prompts presented within the template may let students feel that it is enough to simply address the prompt rather than extending their thinking beyond.  
  • Not only does a template choose the format, an outline or skeleton does the organizational work for learners. Some outlines may be doing the work that we want are learners to be doing in terms of finding connections between ideas and forming the structure of a strong argument. 
Like everything else in education, there is no simple answer to the template question. Templates are neither good or evil. It all depends on how they are deployed. While a template can be extremely beneficial to one student in terms of helping with organizing ideas and providing the prompts which will help guide expression of ideas to demonstrate mastery, the same template can put constraints on the expression of deeper understandings of a different student in the same classroom. One of my future goals is to keep better track of those students who are ready to be pushed beyond the template. There is a point at which true mastery of a content area requires the ability to organize and present thinking. A template can be like four wheel drive to help a learner gain some traction in the process. 

Sometimes, though, students may want to really lean into those curves.

I would love to hear about YOUR decisions to implement templates in your classroom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st