Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Thank You for Amplifying My Voice


Student Voice is a major buzzword in educational circles. A primary use of educational tools is to amplify student voice in the classroom and broadcast it to the world. As educators, I feel we need to not forget the importance of our voice. We all have stories and lessons we have learned. Just like a classroom can benefit from hearing the voice of every student, the educational community can benefit from hearing the voice of all educators and their experiences. I have been publishing this blog for 4 years now. It has been great for reflection. Although it doesn’t reach a very large audience, it has allowed my voice and story to reach others across the globe.

This year, I have been extremely lucky to have my voice further amplified. But, it has not simply been due to technology. It has been due to a number of wonderful people who thought what I had to say could be of some benefit to a larger audience. I would like to take this opportunity to thank those individuals. It has probably been my greatest year as a professional. So, I wanted to take a moment to revisit and thank those who helped amplify my voice.

In January of this year, Barbara Bray published a podcast in which was able to tell my journey as an educator. Barbara’s books with Kathleen McClaskey have been invaluable guides in my practice. Being able to talk about my 18 year journey as an educator and how my practice has transformed by my desire to give students more agency in their learning. It’s a journey that is iterating with every lesson I teach and Barbara's work has greatly informed all of my work in the classroom. Thank you Barbara for celebrating my story.

Episode #25: Building the Why for Learning with Mike Mohammad

Michael Mohammad, a high school science teacher in Elmbrook School District in Wisconsin, is passionate about personalizing learning for all learners. Mike writes a blog post, Mo Physics, Mo Problems about his own journey to personalize learning and building his PLN. Mike shares what happens in his class on social media.

The summer offered me the opportunity to have a conversation with Allison Zmuda and Bena Kallick about Habits of Mind. As I’ve begun moving away from classroom focused on content mastery to skills mastery, a focus on Habits of Mind has been key. Having the opportunity to workshop my thoughts and ideas with Allison and Bena, has been like getting portrait lessons from Annie Leibovitz. Thank you, Allison, for all you’ve done to help shape and share my voice over the past years.

Interview with Mike Mohammad: Inviting Students to Dig Into Thinking Like Scientists - Learning Personalized

We are thrilled to present our interview with Mike Mohammad. Mike has been a secondary educator for 16 years, 12 of which have been at Brookfield Central High School in Brookfield, Wisc. His interests in education focus on putting students at the center of their own learning experience.

I also was contacted by Pear Deck this summer about doing a guest post for Alice Keeler. Yes, that Alice Keeler. I am a huge fan of Alice going way back. Ditch that Homework has really given me the courage to rethink the way students practice with content in my classroom. The opportunity to write a guest post on her site was an amazing opportunity. In the post, I was able to share my practice of using Pear Deck to make quizzes truly a formative assessment. Thank you, Alice for finding space for my voice on your blog and Pear Deck for all of the amazing opportunities you’ve given me.

Ditch That Quiz with Pear Deck by @mo_physics - Teacher Tech

Guest Blog post by Mike Mohammad In their book, Ditch That Homework, Alice Keeler and Matt Miller call for a shift in what work in the classroom looks like in order to eliminate the need for students to do the traditional homework that leaves students spending hours mindlessly practicing rote skills or clueless as to what they are doing.
I love podcasts. I listen to them in my car. I listen to them when I cook. I listen to them when I clean. I am never as Zen as when I am am vacuuming with my headphones on listening to a podcast. I have a podcast playlist called “Education” that automatically updates and I listen to in order. Well, almost in order. The one podcast that always jumps to the top of the queue is The Google Teacher Tribe Podcast with Matt Miller and Kasey Bell. So when out of the blue Kasey asked if I’d like to be a guest on the podcast, I FREAKED OUT! Matt and Kasey were two of the first educators I followed on Twitter so this was an amazing honor. I felt like a blubbering “Um” machine and the time flew by. It was truly a moment where my present self could look at my past self. My number one source for PD had become a place where I could share my practice?! Thank you for the opportunity Matt & Kasey. And to those in the Tribe who listened and who I’ve learned so much from.

Transforming Your Classroom with Mike Mohammed - GTT064 - Google Teacher Tribe Podcast

Mike Mohammed has been teaching high school science for 17 years. Download Episode! Google News and Updates Featured Content Mike Mohammed has been teaching high school science for 17 years. He has been teaching at Brookfield High School for the last 14 of those.

After the podcast, Kasey reached out again. She asked if I’d be willing to share my practice of using digital portfolios in the classroom. In a presentation at ISTE 18, Kasey shared out a couple of student examples from my classroom. That was another Wayne’s World ”I’m not worthy” moment. The ability to share my words and practice on her blog was a true honor. It was interesting to look back at how my practice with portfolios has transformed as the purpose of the portfolio has changed and Google Sites has changed in functionality and features.

How to Create Powerful Student ePortfolios with Google Sites

Let's Talk About How to Create Powerful Student ePortfolios with Google Sites! Online student portfolios are a great way to showcase student work and show growth over time. Google Sites is the perfect tools for you and your students to create ePortfolios.

I apologize if this has come across as a “Yeah Me”, but this has been a great year for me as a professional. These people are EduHeroes of mine. Their validation on my work made my year for me. In a year when we lost our dog of 15 years, my work has given me an outlet for the devastating loss of that close friend and the hole it created.

I can’t really thank these amplifiers without thanking my true partner in my practice, Andelee Espinosa. We have been co-teaching for over 10 years. Everything I do in the classroom is shaped through our shared lens of equitable educational opportunities for all learners. I hope you’ll take the opportunity to follow this link to hear her voice on her blog.

Grow

I reflect. A lot. My mind can't stop sometimes. Here's a place where I process, reflect and ponder what I do. I learn, I learn some more, I ask questions, I grow and I hope I make a difference. Sometimes it's neat and tidy. Sometimes it's a mess...but it's all me.
Seeing what’s on the horizon for me in 2019, I look forward to new opportunities to find new opportunities to share my story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st