Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Mo ISTE Mo Presentations!





Well this week was my 2nd time attending the ISTE conference. This year I was able to attend a bunch of wonderful sessions. I even presented. I’d like to that the time to share out the resources from my sessions and the sessions I attended. I’d like to thank the people who were most directly responsible for me attending ISTE. Barbara Bray for inviting me to present as a part of her sessions. Dana Monogue the director of teaching and learning in my district when the opportunity arose for finding resources to support my journey. Dana is now the superintendent of another great Wisconsin school district. Finally, the innovative work done in my classroom is done in partnership with my co-teacher Andelee Espinosa.

Learner Agency

Learner Voice and Learner Choice are two major components to providing Learner Agency in the classroom. Too often, voice and choice are seen as a single aspect. In our session, Barbara Bray, Kerry Gallagher, and I teased out key aspects of and examples for incorporating voice and choice into the classroom. One other key ingredient often overlooked in putting students at the center of their own learning is Joy and Play. Barbara ensured that attendees got a chance to have some time to play by creating their own human machine.
Check out the resources from our session in the slides below.


The Power of Stories Using Digital Tools

Providing learners space to tell their stories is key to a learner centered classroom. But, empowering educators to tell their own stories provides opportunities for personal growth and opportunities to build a community of educators who learn from each other. Barbara Bray collected a wonderful group of educators featured on her podcast for a poster session sharing out they work they have done.

It was wonderful seeing all of these amazing educators. Many I was meeting for the first time.
You can check out all of Barbara’s podcast episodes here or search for Rethinking Learning on your podcatcher of choice.

ISTE 1-in-3 Sessions — Round 1

A final presentation I gave was as part of a session called 1-in-3. In this session, a group of presenters step onto the stage to present a single idea in 3 minutes.

It was an interesting experience and a bit of a risk for me. My focus was on expanding the use of Google Slides for learner expression over Google Docs. You can watch a screencast I did in preparation for the session below.

Beyond the Slideshow: Unleashing Student Creativity With Google Slides

The first session I attended was lead by the fantastic Eric Curts. He is so mild mannered but full of amazing knowledge and information of EdTech tools. Ron Swanson is to woodworking as Eric Curts is to EdTech.


This session focused on a host of different things you can do with slides beyond simple presentations. Eric focused on 7 different ways to go beyond with Google Slides
  • Manipulatives
  • Collabordependent
  • Interactive
  • Animated
  • Nonlinear
  • Video Activities
  • Narrative
Check out his entire presentation below. Be sure to click on the examples as they are fantastic!

Honestly if you aren’t using Google Slides in your classroom for creation, you are missing out on an amazing free collaboration tool that can create a wide variety of multimedia products!
Check our resources for all of Eric’s ISTE sessions here.

Cultivate Kindness with Technology Integration

It is so easy at a technology to lose touch with the human element. That’s why it was great to see the use of technology to go beyond content and cultivate kindness in learners. Tamara Letter’s book A Passion for Kindness is one which I read and loved last year. Her session was a great reminder that everything we do in our schools from standards to social skills is implicitly tied to kindness. The issue is that many of us, me included, take this fact for granted and need to find ways to make it explicit.
Check out here presentation below with all the amazing resources!

#StopMotionSlides

Jake Miller is the amazingly upbeat host of the podcast Educational Duct Tape.


He is the master of creating Educational GIFs. In this session, he gave a tutorial on using Google Slides to create Stop Motion Animation.
I highly recommend going to his page for the session to get all the materials for the session. 
If you want to get a flavor for the session, the presentation is embedded below.

In this hands-on session we had time to create our own animation. Find my simple creation below.

The Learning Mixologist - Shaken and Infused Never Stirred.

Kasey Bell has been a tremendous resource for me in implementing EdTech solutions into my classroom with the goal of creation. In this session, she teamed up with Holly Clark to do more than just suggest a handful of tech tools to use in the classroom. Kasey and Holly have designed a framework to infuse technology in the classroom with the goal of addressing classroom standards or goals.


What I appreciate about the framework is that it also guides implementation at multiple levels based on learner expertise: Beginner, Experienced, & BAM!


Get access to the full presentation with the why, what, and how of the Learning Mixologist here!
Also, get a peek at all of Kasey’s presentations from ISTE 2019 here.

Don't Ditch that Tech! Using Technology to Upgrade to a Differentiated Classroom

Although I didn’t get an opportunity to attend this session with Matt Miller, Nate Ridgeway, and Angelia Ridgeway. I did read the book and wrote a reflection here. In true super fan form, I waited outside after the session and was lucky enough to get the authors and get them to sign my Kindle! Thanks for taking the pics, Karly :)


Below you’ll see an infographic from the session. But, check out this PDF with Live Links. 



Create with Chromebooks

The Google Playground was a wonderful place to learn from some amazing Google Teachers & Innovators. Jen Giffen had a station in which she featured some of creation tools I had never heard of before.

Jen also shared out some wonderful resources for designing headers for a multitude of different purposes. Again, check out the live links in this slide!

If you haven’t listened to Jen’s podcast with Kim Pollishuke, Shukes and Giff: The Podcast, it is a must listen for tech tips but also the great banter!

Sketchnoting on a Chromebook

Another great Google Playground session I sat in on was with the amazing artist Sylvia DuckworthHer session highlighted how to create simple but versatile icons. Sylvia channeled Bob Ross but in a way that participants could actually replicate the creations! I was amazed at how zen it was to create these illustrations.
Check out Sylvia’s resources in the presentation below.

Practical & Innovative Ways to Infuse ISTE Standards in the Classroom

The final session I attended was really the heart of what ISTE is all about. It focused on the ISTE standards for students and how to build them into the classroom. The session was presented by Chris Aviles, Kasey Bell, Matt Miller, and Wanda Terral. The slidedeck below is full of so many great resources and examples it is almost like a book itself.

I can’t hope to do justice summarizing the presentation. But a personal highlight, was Kasey sharing out the portfolios learners make in our physics classroom!

ISTE wrapped up less than a week ago and I am still processing all of this information. I hope to be able to dig into it soon and use it to help guide the next iteration of my learning environment this fall. There may not have been much reflection in this post, but that will come in time as I step back from the overwhelming sensation of endless possibilities I have right now. 

There was also a bunch of new information about Flipgrid that is definitely going to affect my classroom this fall. But I'll save reflection on those for a little later...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st