Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

That's a Bingo: Rethinking Assessment in Virtual Learning


In this new landscape of Virtual Learning, I've lost many of my favorite activities and labs. But thanks to ideas from my Professional Learning Network and the support of my administration, I feel like I've been given the freedom to think differently. To not simply retrofit activities and assessments into a virtual model, but to try something different and leverage the change in instruction and environments.

In a recent podcast, Kasey Bell presented 12 practical tips for remote learning that forced me to rethink what I was trying to do. It was a fantastic episode that moved me to question my current practice and try something different. So, I took a tip from another one of her episodes on Choice Boards. As we finish our energy unit, I wanted to create a more unique opportunity for learners to demonstrate mastery. So, I created an Energy Bingo Board.
I would not consider this a true choice board for a couple of reasons. But, I'd like to discuss the design of the assessment and then hopefully the freedom for student choice will be evident in the design.




If you don't know what the different E's mean, that's ok. But here's a quick bit of quick physics info:


Eg is Gravitational Potential Energy like the energy stored in an object based on its height above the ground.
Ek is Kinetic Energy is the energy of an object's motion based on its mass and how fast it's moving
Eel is Elastic Potential Energy the energy stored when an object is stretched like a bow & arrow or compressed like a when something bounces.
Edis is Dissipated Energy this form of energy could be observed as sound or heat.

The energy bingo card itself has 3 different categories of submissions. To get a bingo, students will have to complete a mix of these to reach a total of 5 submissions. The different categories are definitions, calculations, and transformations. Although each category has different criteria, each will all be submitted to Flipgrid. I choose Flipgrid because of the versatility of the Flipgrid camera to provide a wide range of student expression including audio, video, text, images, even emojis.

The students are presented with guidelines for each category.



DefinitionCalculationEnergy Transformation
-Identify the term
-Provide a definition
-Explain the factors that affect it
-Give an example
-Provide visual for the example
-Identify the term
-Provide the Formula
-Identify each variable in the formula
-Walk through a sample calculation
-Provide visual for sample
-Identify the starting energy
-Identify the final energy
-Explain how energy transforms
-Walk through each step of the process visually
-Be clear how it is know each type of energy is present at the start and end of the transformation


It is up to the student to find or create an example to use for their chosen definition, calculation, or transformation. These examples could come from:

  • An activity the student records of themselves
  • A video they find online
  • Their favorite video games
  • Pets or other things around their home
  • A drawing or animation that they create on paper or digitally.
The goal is to make it as wide open as possible, I really hope students have some fun with this and use it as an example to get creative and show a little bit of personality. It would have been a little impracticable to have all 30 students recording a video in my classroom at the same time. Leveraging the use individual creation and expression makes sense in a time of social distancing. Creating in their own spaces outside of the 4 walls of the classroom may lead them to see a greater connection between the content and their existence outside of school. 

Like I said, I am using Flipgrid for students to submit their work. I made a separate Flipgrid Topic for each category of submission. Each topic is moderated meaning that each student submission is private with me. 

If you'd like to see the topics that I made, feel free to access public facing versions here:








I created each category as a separate topic is so that students could easily view the criteria for each topic as they created their submission. The topic page has a tons of options for what can be added to assist students. 

But, recording a video is my favorite support. (Remember all Flipgrid videos have closed captions & Flipgrid has the Immersive Reader. Both of these are great to remove potential barriers to student access). In addition to creating instructional videos, I like to create at least one example for each topic. Below are some of the examples that I made.





When students are using the camera to record their response they can also pull up the topic instructions, too. So dividing giving each category its own topic allows students to easily see the criteria that they need to meet.

So while this isn't a true choice board, I still feel that students have a wide variety of options to choose from. I feel that they will have the opportunity to express their own voice in the mode of presentation and examples they use. While I did not spend hours making sure every combination was 100% equally balanced in terms of workload, I have ensured that each Bingo will cover the most important outcomes of the unit. 

I'm excited to see what students create. They have amazed me already the past few weeks with their ability to find the mode of expression that best fits their strengths to communicate understanding. While I lament the loss of some of my favorite activities. I will create with an eye to the new opportunities available. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st