Skip to main content

I Was Experiencing Personalized Learning in 1987

I have been trying to catch up with episodes of George Couros’s excellent Innovator’s Mindset Podcast. Of course, I had to revisit the episode in which I was lucky to appear. While listening to it, I began to realize when I was talking about my favorite teachers. They were actually the ones who allowed me to experience personalized learning.  This is nearly 40 years ago! In 1997, the movie of the year was Beverly Hills Cop 2, and the biggest song of the year was “ Want to Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston.  Specifically, Mr. Vollrath, who I talked about in the episode, realized that it was not the ability to spell a word but to know what it means and use it in the proper context. As I write this post right now, I am still not the best speller, but there are tools that can assist me with it. I see red lines in Google Docs that alert me if I misspelled something. It’s like he understood the WHY of the words, which was not the spelling but the understanding of the words and the abi

Voice and Choice Are Not Just Buzzword


I believe that all learning is personal, and it still is. An essential part of ensuring that all learners' needs are being met is that they understand how they learn best and can communicate that to their teacher. Of course, this feedback means nothing if the instruction isn’t adjusted, but that’s another blog post in itself. 


While going through some old photos on my MacBook, I came across this one 9 years ago when I began incorporating more voice and choice in my classroom. It illustrated a simple form of feedback I gained from students at the end of a unit. I’d have the headers on the board and leave the room while students wrote their opinions. 

It’s hard to read, so I’ll put the responses in the table below. I did not correct any grammatical errors.


How Have I Been Given Voice and Choice?

  • We have a lot of apps to choose from, and we have the option to make presentations based on voice recording, visual demonstrations, or lab write-ups

  • Projects allow us to be creative

  • Mr. Mo allows us to have our choice in making our projects in our own creative way

  • I personally feel tests don’t give an accurate representation of a student's abilities, especially if people get test anxiety

  • Students get a choice in the way they want to be tested, not only traditional MC tests, but projects, presentations, etc.

  • We actually learn the material instead of memorizing!

  • It allows me to choose how I want to approach a project throughout. Other classes teachers force you to make certain types of presentations. But in this class I’m allowed to decide that I don’t want to make a video, I don’t have too and I would get the same grade.

  • Students can offer their own ideas to the teacher without worrying about receiving a negative response

  • You let us give ideas to help us learn in our own way such as Kahoot quizzes and projects

  • It’s really personalized learning and there are different options that work for everyone


Why Is It Beneficial?

  • Students can show their understanding in a way that uses their learning style! Plus presenting information is great practice for the future!

  • We often have to think outside the box which results in beneficial learning and problem-solving

  • It helps us develop new ideas and collaborate with one another.

  • We can all learn in our own style and in a way that will help us the most

  • Students, regardless of their test-type preference, can excel in physics.

  • We can take responsibility for our own education which prepares more for college

  • We can learn at our own pace and not worry about stressful tests

  • The video presentations are more helpful than traditional rests because the student becomes the teacher and is required to explain the concepts learned in class

  • Having a flexible learning path makes a class less stressful and seems to create a more free, open, idea-sharing atmosphere in the classroom

  • Because we can learn the way we want


Okay, so there seems to be an overwhelming sentiment against “traditional tests” in this feedback. Let me just take a quick aside that it could be a completely different blog post. 


I just want to take a moment to provide a few examples of assessment evidence from some of the classes in our school district:


  • Analyze data to support the claim that Newton’s second law of motion describes the mathematical relationship among the net force on a macroscopic object, its mass, and its acceleration.


  • I can present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the reasoning and organization. 


  • Wisconsin students will develop claims using evidence to support reasoning.


These standards are written as if the student will be able to (verb) of (direct object) and may include some extra guidelines.

  

A big thing to note about these and all the standards I have looked at is that they do not include the words “multiple-choice test.” 


I have nothing against teaching learners how to take a multiple-choice test. But isn’t that its own standard and set of skills? The ability to effectively take a multiple-choice test is its own separate standard!

Ok, enough of that rant.


The point is that learners need to be able to express that they have mastered the standard. If the standard doesn’t specifically state how they will express mastery, why exclude methods that work best for the learner?


Here are some of the methods I have used in the past in a unit dealing with light




Ultimately, the students choose the assessment method and use their voice to demonstrate mastery of a standard.  Allowing students to express their voices helps the teacher construct alternative choices for how they would prefer to best demonstrate their mastery of the content/standard, which only helps increase the choice options. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Personalized Learning Tasks and Roles

Yesterday, I read a great post by Jim Rickabaugh dealing with the roles of learner and teacher in a personalized learning environment by looking at tasks . The roles were set up on a continuum. This article timed perfectly with a reflection on part of Students at the Center by Allison Zmuda and Bena Kallick on idea generation and task development I had in mind. These two works are the focus of my reflection here. I think a key misunderstand teachers have when it comes to digging into personalizing learning is that for planning purposes, we no longer begin with standards but with student desires.  I believe like all good instruction, we need to start with the standards.  Think about it, standards are what we want all learners to know and be able to do as a result of passing through our educational system. That is why it is essential that we make sure that standards are representative of what we believe is important for learners to be informed and productive in their futur