Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Spring Reading



Book reports, do teachers still use them?  When I remember doing book reports in school, they were focused mostly on a simple plot summary.  I imagine teachers who do them today have students be more reflective in their reporting.

I read three different books over this spring break.  Two were fiction All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders and The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.  The other book I read was Tapping the Power of Personalized Learning by Dr. James Rickabaugh. For this report out I’m focusing on Dr. Rickabaugh’s book.

The subtitle of the book is A Roadmap for School Leaders.  A teacher looking at that subtitle may not see herself as a school leader, but this is not a narrow definition of the word “leader” educators may have become accustomed to.   In this case, leaders are those looking to institute change.  Educators are leaders.  Everyday we guide students through activities/lessons we played some role in designing.  

Don’t think of this book as something that you will read over a couple of days and never have to come back to.  To unleash the full potential of this work, leaders must treat it as the interactive map.  This is not a simple text to be read; it is a rich activity book. These aren’t one and done activities, I imagine coming back to these time and again.

The power of personalization is that it allows learners to craft their own path.  Dr. Rickabaugh believes this so as leaders look to their roadmap, they need to design their own path.  The book is broken up into different chapters.  At the end of each chapter, there is as activity which is meant to provoke deep reflection and help map out the next steps on the journey to personalization of learning.  After each activity, the book provides a menu of actions leaders can take.  Now, I’m just going to provide a quick overview.  I don’t want you to waste too much time reading this when you could be reading the actual book!

The book has 6 major chapters with a powerful introduction that will hook any school leader.  The introduction of the book guides us through personalized scenarios that may seem like they come from a utopian future but are currently in practice.

Chapter 1 guides us through some of the assumptions we as educators have allowed to guide our legacy practices and how facts may contradict those practices.  The chapter then moves on to show us how the personalized learning framework can be utilized by employing the levers of structures, samples, standards, strategies, and self.

Chapter 2 guides readers through the Honeycomb Model.



As someone who has worked with the model in my design process, this chapter does a wonderful job of walking us through the components and levels.  It unleashes the power of the design that at first might seem overwhelming.  I learned so much here. In my opinion, this is the heart of the book.  It is required reading for every educator!

Chapter 3 gives us the student perspective on personalized learning.  By that I mean, it frames the learning process not from the educator’s perspective.  It reminds us that the most important lens to look at the process through is that of the learner.  In addressing these components, the book includes the voice of students and their stories.

Chapter 4 walks leaders through the 5 key shifts that occur when moving to a personalized learning framework.  Those shifts include
  1. Focus of instruction on learning
  2. On demand instruction
  3. Purpose driving learning
  4. Building learning capacity
  5. Ensuring student success

These are not just bullet points in the book.  The leader is guided through a reflective questioning process to dig deep into what these shifts mean at the learner level.

When we get to chapters 5 and 6, that is when the book begins to look at the personalized learning model from a school leader perspective.  Chapter 5 focuses professional development required to help guide and support educators into these new waters.  As a teacher who has embraced the framework, it highlights the idea that it is not a one size fits all model.  It is a process which requires educators the room to make mistakes and fail forward.


Chapter 6 focuses on scaling the model and sustaining it over time.  I loved how this chapter identified different types of educators and categorized them as scouts, pioneers, settlers, and saboteurs.  As the idea of personalized learning has been brought to our district, I have been able to see all these classes.  But, effective PD has helped saboteurs find their own in to the personalized learning framework.  The may never adopted the entire framework, but perhaps we can negate their negative momentum.

The book doesn’t stop there.  There are 3 essential appendices as well.
  • Appendix A provides an 8 point action plan for implementation.
  • Appendix B states and fleshes out the 9 design principles of the personalized learning framework
  • Appendix C fleshes out 10 personalized learning skill sets for educators


So, I was able to check out this book from our staff library this spring break.  Going through it this week has made it clear that I will need my own copy.

Comments

  1. very well explained thanks for sharing your valuable blog these are very useful to me.
    Adaptive Personalized Learning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st