Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

WHEN are you Willing to be Challenged?



I was listening to the IMMOOC week 1 podcast on the way into work and was struck by something George Couros & Katie Martin were discussing. It was in relation to the peer review process for Katie’s new book Learner Centered Innovation.

They were discussing the idea of feedback as a key during the creation of the book. Since the book is a physical published product, critical feedback after the fact would not be useful to the creation process. But critical feedback along the way, was essential to produce a quality final product.

That led me to think about all of those end of course surveys I have taken and used to administer. They are being given after the fact. How does this information help inform the process during the learning process? Simply put, it doesn’t.  The feedback is too late to affect the intended audience. When, George brings up the idea of timely feedback, we need to take it to heart. But, we also need to be aware of the type of feedback we are soliciting.  Couros tells us to ask ourselves, “Are we just looking for praise or are we looking for feedback that will push us?” Are we ready to be challenged by the feedback we get or are we just looking for affirmation of our current practice?

George and Katie are quick to point out that there needs to be a balance between praise and push in the feedback we get.  We can’t simply be told everything we do is perfect nor should we be told everything we are doing isn’t good enough. We all are doing things that work for our learners, but we all can iterate practices to make them meaningful for learners.

So what can that more immediate feedback look like?

As we begin each instructional unit, I like to take a few minutes to have students provide me with some feedback on a few questions regarding our previous unit.  I did it yesterday in my AP Physics class so I’m looking at the responses today. Here are the basic questions I asked them:
  1. What features of this last unit helped you learn best before the final assessment and should not be changed? (Praise in order to know what is working)
  2. What features of this last unit didn't really help you understand the material? (a chance to see what isn’t working right now and could stand to be changed or a piece that is not working for everyone. Challenge practices that aren’t working)
  3. How do you feel about the assessment options and the ability for you to show your understanding? (Students were given options for summative assessment of traditional AP format test consisting of multiple choice & Free Response Questions a.k.a FRQ or create a mastery defense presentation as video, screencast, or face to face presentation)
  4. What would help your learning even more as we enter the next unit? (A chance for learners to suggest new ideas and challenge what is not being done)
  5. Would you ever feel comfortable proposing you own idea for an assessment option? (I want to push learners to the point where if they are not taking the AP test in May, they would feel comfortable proposing their own way to demonstrate that they have mastered the unit outcomes via creation)

This survey could easily have been done using a Google Form, but I use Pear Deck to present notes during large group instruction. I give students the first few minutes of class to answer the questions.  I then exported the responses to a spreadsheet.




It’s one thing to collect feedback, but the purpose of feedback is for action. So what will I do with this feedback?  First,  focus on some of the pieces of feedback that I saw frequently.
The things that are working?
  • Notes/Pear Deck 
    • Practice Problems
    • Hands-on learning
  • What things aren’t working?
    • More detail in answer keys 
    • FRQ practice 
  • Can we try this?
    • More practice problems & FRQ’s
    • More labs
    • Going over practice problems

So what actions will I take to this feedback?

Answer Keys Detail
I’ve decided to push the answer key creation from myself to my students. It’s been an idea I’ve had for a couple of months, but needed to be pushed to try it. I’m going to use Flipgrid as a location for students to post explanations of all the problems from a problem set. Student groups will be assigned 1 to 2 problems to explain via a video posted to Flipgrid during class time.  This will ensure that all students will have access to more through explanations than my current keys and they will be student generated. This way students will not need to sit while solutions to problems they already understood were explained to the whole class. They can simply view the ones they were having difficulty with. I hope to have students who are taking the unit test do the same thing with the Free Response Question practice. I hope to share out how this goes in a future post.
More practice problems and FRQ’s
In the age of digital resources, finding more practice problems should not be an issue. Giving students access to them and informing them about where to find them is the challenge. For my class, one of the resources is an open source textbook.  Providing a direct link to the practice problems at the end of a chapter could be a fix for those specifically looking for more practice work and different forms of questioning. Posing links to those questions in our LMS and not making them required would be a good solution.  I just have to put in the effort to build that out. My current unit pages contain supplemental reading, assigned practice problems, supplemental simulations, and video resources.  
It would be fairly simple to post links to additional practice problems right in here.

More challenging problems
As a part of my note sessions, I think it might make sense to start with a quick review of the previous lessons content with a very challenging problem.  Not mathematically, but conceptually. That way it is something we can discuss as a class before moving on to the new content.

More Labs
There seems to be a desire for more hands-on activities. This is one area where the resources are out there.  I just need to feel that push from my learners to bring more of this into our classroom.

More going over problems
We’ll see how students feel about this once we’ve started the Flipgrid answer keys.

My students have provided me with the greatest push to iterate my practice. I trust their feedback to me. They don’t try to get out of learning or suggest unreasonable requests. It’s all actionable feedback. In some cases, it could be more specific. That is something we’ll hope to build on. I used to see a lot of vague feedback from students, blanks, or IDK. But as I’ve acted on feedback the responses have gotten better. When learners see that you act on feedback, you’ll see that the feedback you get is more honest in its challenges and elaboration.

So when are you going to be ready to be challenged? And who is going to challenge you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st