Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Who Is the Expert in the Room?






When I prepare a lecture (yes there is still a place for it in my classroom), it is often filled with questions for my students to answer. Most of these questions I already know the answer to. I cast myself in the role of expert. But what happens when learners don’t care about the questions I am asking them? When they are given the space to ask the questions that they are curious about, will I still be the expert in the room?
These are the questions that used to worry me. If I’m not the expert with the answers, what will happen?
Over time I have learned that there is no way I could know the answer to every question a student has about physics. I’ve learned to be ok with not being the only expert in the room. We have a vast world of resources at our fingertips. So, while I may not know the answer to every physics question, my learners and I can work together to vet resources and we can co-design provide the experiences that will help them make sense of some of the more complex ideas we find in our research.

In her new book Learner Centered Innovation,  Katie Martin says the following:


"If we want to change how students learn, we must change how teachers learn."


Martin, Katie. Learner-Centered Innovation: Spark Curiosity, Ignite Passion, and Unleash Genius (Kindle Location 236). IMPress, LP. Kindle Edition.

In the age of the connected educator, we are able to access information and resources that tie into our professional areas of interest with just a few clicks. These resources include scholarly articles, educator blog posts, videos on YouTube, and podcasts. Once we find these resources, we are able to dive deep and use them to affect change in our classrooms. But in my practice, I realize that I am not always able to discuss what I find with as many of my peers as I would like.
That’s the power of the #IMMOOC community. It’s a safe place for educators to share, learn, challenge, and support each other as they look to try something different.
This is going to sound like a shameless plug, but this coming Saturday, we are holding an EdCamp in our district. The majority of sessions will be pitched that day. But, we have some crowdsourced sessions suggested by attendees last month. Since we never know who is coming to each session, we’ll never know who the “expert” in the room will be or even if there will be one.
As in our classrooms, we need to be willing to engage in experiences where an expert might not be on hand to give us the answer we desire. We need to look for the resources and experiences that will provide the evidence we seek. Sometimes when individuals bring their own pieces of experience and knowledge together, those pieces combine to for an answer. So, I’d like to put out a call to the #IMMOOC community.
We are looking for your experience in changing these topics from buzzwords into meaningful informed practices.
Those crowdsourced topics are:

We would love you to help inform us by posting resources that you feel are relevant and will inform the thinking of our attendees. Are you willing to share out your favorite articles, books, videos, graphics, etc. on these topics or maybe even a personal blog post? If you click on the session titles above, they will take you to a notes document with a place to post your resources so all can access them.
Since we’ll have all levels of learners in the room, these resources don’t need to be earth shattering revelations. Remember the basics are essential for building a common language before the real conversation can begin.
EdCamps are great because they bring together a group of likeminded educators into a room to discuss a topic that they are personally invested in.  But in the age of professional learning networks, we can bring in a vast number of expert resources to help inform our discussions.
As we hope to have our students go beyond the age where the teacher is the only expert resources available to them, I ask that you help us do the same for our EdCamp Educators this Saturday by sharing your resources and thoughts in the session documents.
And if you are in the Southeastern Wisconsin area, we’d love to see you at EdCamp Elmbrook. Register here: EdCamp Elmbrook

Or follow along Saturday using #EdCampELM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st