Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

The Future Starts Now



When looking to implement change in my classroom, I often think big.  I spend time with great ideas that I will put into place when I have the time to sit down and plan them out. Too often, these great ideas become a low priority when faced with the day to day management of my workflow. So the change I’m looking to implement doesn’t get addressed until I have the time to plan.  That means during summer vacation. It’s a problem that the change I’m looking to make doesn’t happen until I have time to address it because it feels too big.

With the help of Kate Sommerville from the Institute of Personalized Learning, I’m going through the process of mapping a classroom constellation that brings personalized learning to life in my classroom. I have been on my PL journey for several years, but this process has …. (explain how it has helped structure, support, grow your practice??).

One of the key steps in the process is creating an action plan for immediate implementation. A plan one can start preparing for as soon as tomorrow with the hope of implementing in a few weeks. I love this idea as it fights my temptation to hold off on implementation until I’m comfortable. We often ask our students to partake in activities are lessons they are not comfortable with. Knowing that, I too have to be willing to take a risk and fail forward knowing the work I am doing is tough, but so rewarding. I’ve discussed other parts of the constellation process in previous posts. I’ve discussed designing my vision (the why) and choosing personalized learning elements to implement (the what). The process forced me to consider the “why” and the “what” before focusing on the actual steps I would take. The  idea of moving from your “why” to your “what” before planning action steps is not only applicable to the constellation planning process, it is what any meaningful, intentional implementation model should be centered around. I think this is a really powerful idea-  as educators in a building, we may have the same vision of what we are looking to accomplish, but we need to be given the space to find our own path.  This customized learning path applies to our students as well. This process is really where I see the connection between personalized learning in the classroom and personalized PD for educators.
When going through the process of planning the how, we looked through 2 different lenses: big picture and detailed planning. The big picture lens allowed me to sketch a narrative of how all the elements I was hoping to bring to my classroom would interplay. It’s often so easy for me to jump to the details piece that I lose sight of the learning story. That’s why I am a terrible speaker.  Too often, I focus on the detailed steps and rattle them off without thinking about the flow of the story I’m telling. The same thing is true for lessons/activities/processes in a unit of instruction.  I need to spend more time seeing the connections between the pieces before I get lost in the details. This narrative construction helps with that.


Once the overall narrative was set, I was able to work on the details that I love.  The fine lens for planning requires not simply thinking about the delivery of instruction but the preparation. It forced me to attach dates to when I would complete these preparation tasks before thinking about the delivery of instruction. Instead of putting together a lesson plan that assumes materials have been created, I planned the creation of these materials. In addition, I was required to create a timeline not simply for delivery of the instruction, but the creation of materials and response to instruction.  If we expect to have classrooms that are student centered and respond to formative assessment, we cannot expect all of our planning and preparation of materials to be completed before instruction has begun. Responsive instruction requires that we set aside time to revise our plan and implement new resources.  These planned resources should not only be a response to remediate but to extend learning beyond what we predicted performance would be. Building that into the action plan is key.  It forces me to be prepared to follow the learning story my students are telling me rather than the one I wrote for them.

I really need that timeline piece since it pushes me to do this now. It relieves some anxiety because I can see how I will be able to find time to prepare and implement new practices. A unique part of the planning process is that I was forced to constantly go back and think about how each task connected to the elements I wanted to implement in my classroom. It forced me to connect my tasks back to what I wanted to do in the classroom.  It forced me to make all of my tasks purposeful. It also made me realize that the personalized learning elements don’t live in isolation, they work together in task creation and implementation. Finally, Kate made me think about what will it look like when the task is done. How will I know I’ve made progress.

In the process, I was connecting tasks to elements and getting a better sense that there is no “single right way” to implement personalized learning elements into the classroom. In addition, adding the incremental steps for the process makes the implementation manageable. The timeline keeps me on target.  We have to remember that the change we are looking for is driven by the learners we have in our classrooms now. So this change can’t wait to be planned over the summer in time for next year’s learners. If it’s a change that I believe needs to be implemented, the future needs to start now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st